Dear Parents and Guardians,
Earlier this week, we announced the cancellation of all June 2020 Regents Exams in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Because of this cancellation, the New York State Education Department (NYSED) has changed the requirements that students must meet in order to earn high school diplomas, credentials, and endorsements. This applies to all students who were intending to take one or more of the June 2020 Regents Exams. NYSED guidance states:
• Exemption for passing will be granted if student is able to earn course credit (either during the school year or over the summer)
• Students that had not yet passed a Regents associated with a course will receive a passing score if they intended to take the test in June
• Exemptions on +1 Pathway assessments
• Exempt Regents cannot be counted as a 65 for the purposes of supporting a safety net/lower Regents score for students with disabilities
• August Regents still not determined
• Next Gen-based ELA and Math assessments will not start next year and will be pushed to 2022.
• Science 5 and 8 assessments will begin now in spring 2023 (current 3rd graders will take old 4th grade assessment next spring; current 2nd graders will take the first Grade 5 Science assessment)
Students with questions about Regents and graduation requirements should contact their guidance counselor.