Athletic Hall of Fame Guidelines
The mission of the Averill Park Athletic Hall of Fame is to recognize athletes, coaches, teams, and contributors who have made significant contributions to the Averill Park athletic program through their service, performance, dedication, commitment, and accomplishment.
The purpose of the Averill Park Athletic Hall of Fame is to recognize and honor athletes, coaches, teams, and contributors of Averill Park athletics to:
• Establish in the hearts of our youth a motivating influence to excel in athletics as well as community.
• Foster pride, promote good sportsmanship, scholarship, and citizenship in our school and community.
• Promote the rich and storied tradition of Averill Park athletics.
Candidates for Membership
Candidates for membership in the Averill Park Athletic Hall of Fame shall be former Averill Park athletes, coaches, teams, and contributors who have met the requirements set forth in these guidelines.
Criteria for Selection
o Attended Averill Park 10 years ago or more
o Participated in varsity athletics at Averill Park
o Consideration given to citizenship and character
o Coached within the district
o Served with distinction in the athletic program
• Team (not eligible until 2022)
o Accomplishment was 10 years ago or more
o Has made unique athletic accomplishments
o Went above and beyond for the athletes at Averill Park
Number of Inductees
The inaugural Class of 2018 and the Class of 2019 shall include no more than a total of 13 inductees each. The Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021 shall include no more than a total of 10 inductees. Future classes will not exceed seven inductees. Teams are separate and are not eligible for induction until 2022.
The Averill Park Athletic Hall of Fame shall consist of a 13 person voting committee. Standing membership for those on the committee go to the following:
• Director of Athletics
• Director of Athletics (former)
• District or High School Administrator
• Current and/or former members of the Averill Park coaching staff (female sports) (4)
• Current and/or former members for the Averill Park coaching staff (male sports) (4)
• Averill Park Athletic Booster Club representative
• At-large member
Each membership is a three year appointment.
The Director of Athletics shall be the chairperson of the committee. He/she shall have the authority to recommend a voting member to the committee when another member chooses to resign. Each person nominated by the Director of Athletics must be approved by a simple majority vote of the committee.
All members enshrined in the Averill Park Athletic Hall of Fame will become members of an advisory committee. Members of the advisory committee shall be notified of meeting dates and times. They can offer suggestions and input, but will not have any voting privileges.
All business decisions shall be determined by a majority vote of the members of the committee in attendance (a minimum of eight members is necessary to conduct business).
The Director of Athletics shall appoint committees, chairpersons, and individuals for each committee to complete the charge of a committee. Upon completion of the charge a committee will be dismissed. The appointment of committees shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Nomination (consists of four members)
No committee shall create any financial liability for the Averill Park Athletic Hall of Fame unless authorized by the chairperson of the committee. All of these committees shall report to the committee at-large at each regular meeting.
The Director of Athletics, in consultation with the Hall of Fame committee members, may create ad hoc committees as needed. The purposed and time limits on the committee’s responsibilities will be determined when the appointment is authorized.
• On or about September 15th the Averill Park Athletic Hall of Fame committee will convene to conduct business and make it known that they will be accepting nominations for the Hall of Fame through November 15th of that year.
• The nomination committee will meet on or about November 15th to review and screen the nominations. The nominating committee can seek out additional information on applicants from a variety of sources.
• The nominating committee will recommend up to 20 potential inductees to the larger membership committee. The membership committee will vote and the candidates receiving the highest number of votes will be inducted each year (a candidate must appear on at least 75% of the ballots in order to be inducted).
• Nominations will stay active for three years for those candidates who do not get inducted.
• Notifications to Hall of Fame inductees will be made on or about December 15th.
• Notification to the public and to the media will be made on or about January 1st.
• Meetings will be held February through April, as needed, to plan for the induction.
• The induction will be held in the spring of each year.
Changes to Guidelines
These guidelines may be changed by a two-thirds majority vote of the total number of committee members.